02 January 2011

My Love For Animals

As a vegan, I proudly support any organization who wants to protect animals in the most peaceful way as possible. I believe animals have rights, just as humans do, to be able to live happy full lives. I am not an extremist or even an activist really. I have no family members who are vegan except my husband and my son. I have very few friends who are vegan. I love many people who eat meat. And some of those meat eaters are reading this and wondering where I'm going to go with this but I have kept my mouth shut for too long.

I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy, but I do believe that people should not stay "ignorant" or "in the dark" or ignore what is going on in the animal world. When exploitation of people is happening everyone cares, but when exploitation of chickens, pigs, turkeys, cows, fish, and sheep happens no one cares at all. If people knew what happened in slaughter houses they would not eat meat. And a majority of people would not kill their own meat to eat it. I don't see people walking up to a cow to butcher it. Some people do go fishing and hunt deer, but they eat other meat as well. I have yet to meet a person who survives on ONLY the animals they kill themselves. I believe people should not eat meat, ever. I also believe humans are only meant to consume meat when there is no other source of food around. We can get ALL our protein and nutrients without animal consumption. Millions of vegan (including professional athletes who are vegan) can attest to that.

I get sad whenever I see a Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas ham. I actually cried when I saw the ham this year. I, of course, hid this from my family, even my husband, because I don't want them to think that I am weird. Crying about an animal I didn't even know.   

I believe animals have the same feelings we have and have souls just as we do. They feel pain, they feel loneliness, and they feel happiness and joy. If my dog can love me, then's who is to say that a pig (who actually has a HIGHER intelligence than a dog) can't love me as well. When I was younger I went to the Fair with my family. There was a mama pig there. She was nursing her babies then the farmer took the babies and put them in a cage next to her. The mama pig was crying and even screaming for her babies to be given back to her. There were tears rolling down here cheeks. She was trying to tear down her wooden cage (which she actually did break it up pretty good) so she could get to her beautiful piglets. It was the more horrible suffering I had ever seen in real life. This mama pig loved and wanted her babies. She longed to be with her babies. And now as a mother, I understand EXACTLY how this mama pig felt.

I became particially vegetarian after that experience. I was 10-years-old. I didn't have any support during my school age years for being vegetarian, which is why I was only particially vegetarian. To be honest, I didn't even know what a vegetarian was. All I knew is that I loved animals just as much as I loved people, so I did not want to eat them. In high school, I met my first vegan friend named Cherie, who is still a vegan now, though I'm sure her parents thought it was "just a phase". It really upsets me when so many parents think that a teenager going vegetarian or vegan is "just a phase". It's not. It's a way of life. It's a choice of beliefs. Yes, some people let go of these beliefs because it seems easier to them. But I know that once you want to be a vegetarian or vegan you are always one in your heart. I wanted to be a vegan like my friend Cherie, but at the time but it wasn't realistic for me at the time. I didn't have a family life that would support me if I went vegetarian or vegan so I decided to wait until I moved out of the house. One year after I moved out of my house I can proudly say I went full on vegetarian. I was so happy when I did this. I felt relief. I felt like I was finally able to be who I have always wanted to be. I met my husband and soon after I became vegan because he was vegan. It just seemed easier that way.

I recently did go back to eating dairy once in while, though I now regret it. Everything I ate that had dairy in it was unhealthy food anyway. I thought that it would help my breastmilk supply for my son. It didn't boost my supply at all so now I am back to being 100% vegan, and I'm proud to be back. I am excited to raise my son (and possible future children) as vegans.

I believe that veganism is about living a life of peace and harmony between humanity and animal kind. It's a life of love for the Earth and for all the creatures the Universe has given us. 

I urge anyone reading this to look into the facts about how animals are treated. There are thousands of reasons to stop eating meat. Please.

Peace, Love, Wealth
Kimra Diggs
The Progressive Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment